Saturday, April 04, 2009

Scan 6: 1 April 2009



Meeting #6. Patch at 17w5d. He's getting a little too big for the screen. But the doc did zoom in for this pic. You can see his spine very clearly and the little black spot in the middle is his heart.

Patch was lying face down when we first saw him. We asked the doc if we could tell Patch's gender. So Patch was initially cooperative and the doc pointed out that it looks like a boy. Then Patch got shy and used his feet to cover up. Tsk. But because he was constantly moving, we (or rather the doc) caught sight of er... his boy bits twice more and announced "99% confirm boy!".

So now Patch is a Patch-rick.



This time Patch has 3 pictures. But the second pic is not very clear so I didn't post it up. Anyway, this is Patch's rendition of The Scream. Heh heh.

You can see his head clearly and his arms were initially in front. Then he after waving around for a while he moved his arms up towards his face. That's how this pic came about.

He was super active that day. Turning around, opening his mouth, waving his arms and... kicking the doctor while she was doing the scan.

"He's very strong! I can feel him kicking me." says the doc. Me, I didn't feel a thing. I have to concentrate to feel Patch's little kicks and squirms but his movements are definitely more obvious these days.

In the week before the scan, I was feeling something squirming around but I couldn't be sure except for one night where it was obvious that Patch was kicking. It felt like huge bubbles popping on the right side of the belly. And when I poked the same spot, Patch poked back. Then he decided to kick the left side of the tummy. -_-



As Patch was almost 18 weeks, the doctor did a few measurements. He's about 12cm now.

The measurements also had its corresponding dates, meaning how old the baby should be when he has such measurements.

As you can see, his head circumference (HC) is about there. His Femur Length (FL), not sure how to spell, is his thigh length - a bit short. And the AC (no idea what that stands for but I like to think it's Ass Circumference cos that's what it is for) is... er... advanced.

So yes. Patch at 17w5d has a big butt. Perhaps it's the butt muscles since he has strong kicks. Hah!

So using these three measurements, the ultrasound machine calculates the baby's estimated weight. Patch is 221g. According to websites, he should be weighing almost 5.5oz - that's 190g. So Patch doesn't just have a big butt. He's "heavy" as well!

Good to know that one quarter of the weight gained in the past month (I put on 800g) is due to Patch. Haha.

But babies grow at different rate. So we shall see again in 3 weeks time during the detailed scan.

Next checkup cum scan: 21 April
That will be the detailed scan where the organs, weight, etc will be measured. We'll double check the gender again. Heh.

1 comment:

Brate said...

Isnt it natural for us to believe we are healthy and not suffering from any disease ? I had a similar thought process until my physician asked me to get a heart scan done after he found that my basic cardiograms were not perfect. I discovered that there were calcium deposits in my coronary arteries and I was at a serious risk of a heart attack. I was shocked and went ahead with the Cardiologist's suggestion of an advanced diagnostic scan. Though its always tough to undergo such experiences, I was not at any kind of discomfort at the Elitehealth.com advanced heart scan facility. I am not an expert in medical appliance and machines but could feel that the equipment was world-class and I was in safe hands. That feeling is really very important for me and thats how it actually went on. The facilities for Full Body Scan were as good as they can get.

http://www.elitehealth.com/heart_scans.php